Greater Geelong National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Greater Geelong Victoria and you are invited.
National and Global Annual Events in and around Greater Geelong
1. Australia Day - Celebrated every 26th of January, Australia Day marks the arrival of the First Fleet of British ships in Port Jackson, New South Wales, in 1788. The best places to celebrate Australia Day in Geelong are at Eastern Beach Reserve and Steampacket Gardens, where events such as live music, fireworks, and family-friendly activities take place.
2. The Festival of Sails - Known as the largest annual keelboat regatta in the Southern Hemisphere, the Festival of Sails has been a major event in Geelong for over 177 years. Held over the Australia Day long weekend, hundreds of yachts come to Geelong to take part in the 4-day sailing festival, with events such as the Passage Race, Around the Bay Race, and the Geelong Waterfront Festival.
3. Geelong Revival Motoring Festival - The Geelong Revival is a motoring festival that celebrates the history of motorsport and motoring lifestyle from the 1920s to the 1960s. The festival features classic cars, vintage motorcycles, vintage aircraft, and historic racing. This event attracts over 30,000 visitors and is held over a 3-day weekend in November.
4. Pako Festa - Known as Australia's largest free multicultural festival, Pako Festa showcases the diverse cultures that make up Geelong. The festival features a parade of around 35 cultural groups, traditional music, dance, food, and arts and crafts from different nationalities. Held on Pakington Street in Geelong West, Pako Festa is held annually on the last Saturday of February.
5. Geelong's Night Market - Geelong's Night Market is an annual summer event held every Friday evening from December to February. Held at Johnstone Park, the market features food trucks, live music, and arts and crafts stalls. This event is perfect for those who want to enjoy the cool summer night with family and friends.
6. Geelong Show - The Geelong Show is the region's largest agricultural and pastoral show and has been a fixture in the city since 1855. The show is held over 3 days in October and features carnival rides, food stalls, agricultural displays, petting zoos, animal judging, and live entertainment. The Geelong Show brings together the rural and urban communities of Geelong.
7. Queenscliff Music Festival - The Queenscliff Music Festival is an annual music festival that showcases local and international artists. Held in Queenscliff, a picturesque coastal town near Geelong, the festival features a variety of music genres such as blues, folk, and rock. The Queenscliff Music Festival is held every November and attracts music lovers from all over Australia.
8. Toast to the Coast - Toast to the Coast is a wine and food festival that highlights the best wine regions of the Bellarine Peninsula and Moorabool Valley. The festival takes place over a weekend in October and features wine tastings, food stalls, live music, and the opportunity to meet the local winemakers. Toast to the Coast is perfect for wine enthusiasts and foodies.
9. The Great Ocean Road Running Festival - The Great Ocean Road Running Festival is a 2-day event that attracts runners from all over the world. Held in May, the festival features a variety of events such as a marathon, a half marathon, a 6-kilometer run, and a kids' 1.5-kilometer run. The Great Ocean Road Running Festival offers scenic views of the iconic Great Ocean Road.
10. The Royal Geelong Show - The Royal Geelong Show is an agricultural show that features carnival rides, food stalls, livestock shows, equestrian events, cooking and craft competitions, and live entertainment. Held in October, the show has been a tradition for over 160 years and attracts visitors of all ages. The Royal Geelong Show is perfect for families who want to experience the country life in Geelong.