Greater Geelong Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Greater Geelong
Greater Geelong, located in Victoria, Australia, is home to many distinguished individuals who have made a significant impact in various fields. Here are some of the famous and notable people from Greater Geelong:
1. Timboon farmer, Murray Goulburn Dairy Cooperative director and Victorian Farmers Federation President, David Jochinke is one of the most respected farmers in Victoria.
2. Peter Carey is a two-time Booker Prize-winning Australian novelist, most famous for his novels "Oscar and Lucinda" and "True History of the Kelly Gang." He was born in Bacchus Marsh, near Greater Geelong, in 1943.
3. Michelle Payne, the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup, was born in Ballarat, just 40 minutes away from Geelong. Payne rose to international fame with her victory aboard Prince of Penzance in 2015.
4. Pop singer/songwriter and guitarist Vance Joy (real name James Keogh) grew up in the coastal town of Ocean Grove, a short 15-minute drive from Geelong. The popular musician is best known for his hit song, "Riptide."
5. Mark Thompson, one of the greatest Australian rules football coaches of all time, was born and raised in Hamilton, only an hour's drive from Geelong. He coached the Geelong Cats from 2000 to 2010, leading them to two premierships.
6. Philanthropist, businessman, and prominent Geelong identity, Frank Costa is one of the most well-known and respected figures in both regional and national business circles. He is an avid supporter of Geelong's sporting clubs and community organisations.
7. Australia's first Indigenous parliamentarian, Senator Aden Ridgeway, was born and raised in the town of Taree, New South Wales, before settling in Geelong in the 1980s.
8. Joel Selwood, regarded as one of the greatest captains in AFL history, is a five-time All-Australian and three-time premiership player with the Geelong Cats. Selwood was born and raised in the town of Bendigo, before heading to Geelong to play elite level football.
9. Dr. Liz Dennis, who grew up in Geelong West, is renowned for being the first ever female Doctor of Veterinary Science to graduate from the University of Melbourne, and has been a pivotal figure in the development of world-leading research into horse diseases.
10. Australian racing car driver, Richie Stanaway, grew up in Tauranga, New Zealand, before moving to the Geelong area with his family. Stanaway has raced in a variety of international motorsport series, including GP3, Formula 3, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
These are just some of the many distinguished and famous people who hail from Greater Geelong, Victoria, Australia. Their achievements and influence have paved the way for future generations to excel in their respective fields.